Are you looking forward to indulging in your favorite meals at all the cookouts this season? If you have missing teeth, you might not be able to comfortably eat how you used to, no matter how much you want to. Luckily, there’s a solution that can help you enjoy mouth-watering summer foods once again – dental implants! Read along to learn more about this tooth replacement method and why you should consider it.
What Are Dental Implants?
Unlike other replacement methods, dental implants are designed to replace the entire structure of your natural tooth, from the very top down to the root beneath the gum line. It’s often considered the gold standard of tooth replacement.
There are three main components to a dental implant: the implant post, the final restoration, and the abutment (small connector piece). The titanium post is surgically inserted into the jawbone to mimic the roots, then a restoration is attached to the abutment to replace the crown of your missing tooth. Its unique placement encourages a healthier, stronger jawbone and gives you new smile that looks, feels, and functions just like your old one!
Which Summer Foods Can I Enjoy with Dental Implants?
Because dental implants fuse to the jawbone, you don’t have to worry about them slipping or sliding around while eating. Once fully healed, they restore up to 75% of your original chewing capacity – so you can eat pretty much anything!
Although you will have to make a few adjustments, you can safely enjoy the following summer foods with dental implants:
- Corn on the Cob – Before digging into one that’s fresh off the grill, remove the cob and eat only the kernels with a spoon or fork. This technique will prevent them from getting stuck in between your teeth and implants.
- Fresh Fruits – Even without dental implants, you should always try to limit your intake of sweet treats as sugar can wreak havoc on your smile. Do you have a serious sweet tooth? Satisfy your craving with tasty fresh fruits! Berries, watermelon, and melon contain natural sugars and are gentle on your new teeth.
- Grilled Vegetables – Grilled veggies are a must at every cookout! Throw some fresh zucchini, squash, or bell peppers on the grill to cook and soften them. They will taste delicious and are much easier to eat!
Tips for Eating with Dental Implants
Here are some tips to keep in mind when eating with dental implants:
- Stay away from hard foods as they can break your restorations (nuts, ice, popcorn kernels)
- Limit your intake of sugary, acidic, and processed foods
- Maintain good oral hygiene (brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily)
- See your dentist bi-annually for routine cleanings and exams
Are you ready to restore your smile and eat freely at the summer BBQs? Ask your dentist about dental implants – before you know it, you’ll be enjoying all your favorite foods once again!
About the Practice
Our team at Dental Designs of New England uses the latest technology and the most advanced methods to deliver high-quality dental care beyond what’s anywhere else. If you have missing teeth, we can use state-of-the-art dental implants to replace them and provide you with a beautiful, confident new smile. Are you ready to start your journey? Visit our website or call (603) 429-2199 to schedule a consultation.